- Advertisement -

WAGES and benefits negotiations between the Bank Workers Union of Namibia (Bawon) and Standard Bank Namibia for the 2017/2018 financial year have reached a deadlock.

The two negotiating parties declared a deadlock after the bank refused to agree to a proposed 8% wage increase by the union.

Bawon’s national coordinator Chiteta Kaleji told a media conference on Tuesday that the union proposed an 8% basic salary increase across the board. However, Standard Bank would only settle for 7%.

- advertisement -

The union further asked for transport and rental (housing) allowances to be increased to N$350 and N$1 200, respectively.

However, the bank, in turn, proposed an increase from N$231 to N$245 for transport, and an increase from N$577.50 to N$635 for the rental allowance.

Standard Bank also maintained the current contribution split of 70% on medical aid, while the remaining 30% would be paid by the employees on the basis that this benefit is well-aligned to the market.

Kaleji said as a result of the deadlock between the two negotiating bodies, a notice of dispute of interest was filed with the Office of the Labour Commissioner on 2 February 2018.

Source: namibian.com.na


Previous articlePEM ADR Course opens on Saturday
Next articleAoun invites Israel to resort to arbitration in border dispute
ADR Daily is a specialized news portal with a focus on providing authentic news, information and research analysis on Appropriate Dispute Resolution (ADR), Human Resource Management (HRM) and Industrial Relations Management (IRM) in Ghana and beyond. This platform serves as an information resource base for the progress of the ADR, HRM and IRM industries, and seeks to promote professionalism in ADR practice by supporting a network of ADR professionals within and across nations and continents. ADR Daily keenly encourages the mass adoption of ADR mechanisms, particularly negotiation, mediation and arbitration for the resolution of disputes in all spheres, through the publication of industry news and information, as well as by deploying innovative awareness creation engagements.